Saturday, June 14, 2008

My first Greyhound Bus Experience

This weekend I had two goals. One, I wanted to get to Dallas to see my friend Catherine and her new home. Two, I needed it to be a one way trip because Mark was on his way back from San Antonio and he was also going to stop in Dallas. I originally thought I would take the train, but low and behold it was sold out! I was very dissappointed, but excited that people were taking advantage of mass transportation. The only other mass transit available to me was Greyhound, so I booked the Friday morning trip.
I actually have to admit that the trip was much better than anticipated. I had a whole bench to myself and we arrived 30 minutes before our arrival time. I did learn a couple of things on the trip.
  • One, DO NOT get to the station early. I asked the lady what time I should arrive and she told me 40 minutes before departure. At first, I wanted to call BS on this woman, but because I lacked any Greyhound experience I took her word for it. We actually departed an hour and a half later!
  • Two, 90% of traveler's smoke. Therefore you make stops at gas stations along the way. The stops will revert you back to high school field trips except that everyone smokes when they get off the bus.
  • Three, my driver actually talked on his cell phone on the trip. I think this should be illegal.
  • Four, the Greyhound was an easy alternative to driving to Dallas. It may not be your best bet for a long distance trip, but short distances are duable and inexpensive.

1 comment:

jim said...

Bus rides don't you love them had to register to use this site---lost first message I guess---anyhow last time I rode a public bus was in Nov 1966, and it was from Houston to Lufkin --had a crasz taxi driver who drove about 10 miles in 8 minutes and got me to the bus just in time---I had flown into Hobby as IAH was not even built--- The bsu either stopped or blew its horn at every little town from Hosuton to Lufkin---I can remeber Humble as it only had a TExaco full service station at the edge of US 59 nothing else as that was on the edge of the main part of Humble---use to ride a bus prior to buying my car in Nov 1966, from then FT Devens to my Uncle and Aunts --only 20 miles as road went only bus didn't go that route--went from Ft Devens 35 miles to Bos and had to chage bus stations and WAIT for another bus to go another 35 miles plus---usually snowing is why I took bus---Sharon and I have taken charter busses to Austin to Lobby--- Jim Wark